“Like snowflakes, my Christmas memories gather and dance – each beautiful, unique and too soon gone.” – Deborah Whipp
Wow, it’s day number 5 in the 12 days of holiday baking, and each day of pastries has been beautiful, yummy and too soon gone! Today’s recipe is an oldie, but a goodie from America’s Test Kitchen. And this one, I must say, is a crowd pleaser. How can anyone go wrong with brownies that have peppermint patties baked inside? I know I can bake this brownie all year long, but like other Christmas memories, it seems to fade like a snowflake. For some reason I always forget about them until the holidays. Maybe it’s the peppermint that makes me think of them. And it’s no secret if you read yesterdays post, that I have a slight addiction for peppermint and chocolate. It’s probably in my waistlines best interest that I only make these during the holidays and I give away as many as I can.
The recipe calls for you to bake in an 8-inch square pan, and cut them into 36 brownie bites. I like keeping them small, because then each brownie will have some of the peppermint pattie visible. It’s the minty candy layer in the middle that makes these unique so you may as well show it off!
These can easily be packaged in a holiday box with tissue paper, or just as part of a cookie tray. I know that for each recipe I keep telling you to keep some for yourself, but I must warn you this brownie is dangerous. Every time I keep a bite, or two or maybe a row and next thing you know, I’m making a second pan of them.
I hope you enjoy these peppermint pattie brownies as much as I do. Give the recipe a try and let us know how they worked for you.
- 3/4 cup AP Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 16 (1 1/2 inch) York Peppermint Patties, unwrapped
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat to 350°
- Make foil sling for 8 inch square baking pan, and grease the aluminum foil.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in bowl.
- Microwave butter and chocolate in second bowl at 50 percent power, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth, 2 to 3 minutes; let cool slightly.
- Whisk sugar and eggs together in large bowl.
- Add vanilla and chocolate mixture and whisk until combined.
- Add flour mixture and stir until just incorporated.
- Pour all but 1 cup batter into prepared baking pan.
- Space patties 1/2 inch apart on top of batter.
- Spread remaining batter over patties.
- Bake until just set in the center, 30 to 35 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking.
- Let bites cool in pan for 2 hours.
- Using foil overhang, lift bites out of pan. Cut into 36 pieces before serving.