This Baileys Chocolate Truffle recipe is another one of my favorite holiday desserts. Baileys truffles are perfect for gifting to friends and family! This easy homemade Baileys recipe uses only four ingredients and is an adult spin on a chocolate treat! Mix up the flavor of Baileys you use for these homemade truffles, depending on what type of mood you want to create this season!
These decadent treats are perfect for the holidays, but tuck into them any time you need a little Baileys-flavored pick-me-up, like after a long day at work.
Homemade Baileys Truffles
Once the holidays roll around, I love sharing chocolates or other sweet treats with friends and families. But, I love to also give a homemade gift to office mates and neighbors all year long for any special occasion. These Baileys truffles are seriously easy to make, don't require special equipment or specialty ingredients.
What is a Chocolate Truffle?
The chocolate truffle is a classic, and many people know the traditional recipe. The ganache mixture of heavy cream and bittersweet chocolate has been used for years in this dessert favorite!
An experimenter on flavors might add vanilla extract or other spices like ground cinnamon or cayenne pepper to change their taste experience while still keeping it accurate to tradition. I'd recommend that each person try this delicious treat at least once to find out what allurements await them inside every bite.
As you can see, there is no ganache in this truffle we are making. This is where the experimenter comes into play. Tiramisu was our inspiration for this delicious truffle.
Ingredient Notes for the Chocolate Baileys Truffles
- I don't know how many times I say this in a week, but it feels like a lot. When the main ingredient in your recipe is chocolate, go with the best your budget will allow! For this recipe, I used a Cacao Barry 41% chocolate, Alunga. For the best results, I'd recommend any quality brand you love from the market. You can go with bars and just cut them up into pieces once ready to melt. I would not recommend chocolate chips for this.
- I used Baileys Espresso Creme for this recipe, but you could use any flavor Baileys you have or love.
- For the ladyfingers, I used what I could find at the market. Go with your favorite brand if you have one you love.
- The cocoa powder is pretty bitter for most people. I'd recommend you try one of the truffles dipped and rolled in the cocoa powder first. If you like it, then continue. If not, just go with sprinkles or colored sugars to roll the truffles in. You could also mix powdered sugar into the cocoa powder to help sweeten it up and reduce the bitter flavor. I'd go with ½ of the amount you used of cocoa powder. Just mix the two together, then roll the truffles into the mixture to coat them.
How To Make The Homemade Chocolate Truffles
This is seriously one of the easiest desserts you can make. There are three main ingredients in this easy recipe.
- The first step is to crush the ladyfingers. I used a Ziploc bag and my rolling pin. You could also put the cookies into your food processor to grind them up into crumbs.
- The next step is to combine the Baileys with the crushed ladyfingers. Use a wire whisk or spatula to mix the two together. I let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes for the ladyfingers to absorb all the liquid.
- Now you are going to melt the chocolate using a double boiler process. Place your chocolate into a medium-sized heatproof bowl, then place that over a water bath on low heat. Once the chocolate is melted, let it cool for about 5 minutes.
- Add the melted chocolate to the ladyfingers and stir. Cover with cling film and place in the refrigerator to cool for about an hour.
- Once cooled, the easiest way to make the truffle ball is to weigh out the chocolate, then just roll it into a ball. My truffles were 12 grams each. If you don't have a scale, you could easily use a melon baller or cookie scoop. Roll the chocolate into small balls. You want to keep these small, because the liquor flavor comes through quite a bit, and sometimes just a bite or two is needed.
- Place your colored sugars, sprinkles, or cocoa powder into shallow bowls. It's a good idea to use gloves for this process. The chocolate mixture could melt some while you are rolling through the sugars just from the heat of your hands.
How To Store The Chocolate Truffles
I keep these in the refrigerator in an airtight container, for up to ten days. When you are ready to eat, pull them out about 10-15 minutes before you want to enjoy them.
- 12 pieces Ladyfingers (100 grams)
- ⅔ cup Baileys Espresso Creme (150 mL)
- 1 cup Milk Chocolate (150 grams)
- ⅓ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder for dusting (40 grams)
- Crush the ladyfingers in a Ziploc bag using a rolling pin. Place the crumbs in a bowl and add in the Baileys Espresso Creme. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Chop your chocolate into small pieces. We are going with a double boiler melting process. You could melt in the microwave if you desire, but be careful not to burn the chocolate. Place the chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl over a water bath, over low heat and allow to melt. Stirring once in a while.
- Once chocolate has cooled down a bit, add it to the ladyfingers. Stir to combine.
- Cover your bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to cool for about an hour.
- Once cool, roll the chocolate mix into small balls and coat them with the cocoa powder, or sprinkles, or any decorative topping you would like.
A Festive And Delicious Treat
If you're looking for a festive and delicious treat to make this holiday season, these Baileys Chocolate Truffles are the perfect solution. This easy homemade Baileys recipe is so simple that anyone can pull it off with just a few ingredients and no baking required! The best part? It's an adult spin on a chocolate treat, so we know they'll be a hit at any party or family gathering. If you are looking for something a bit different for the holidays, head on over to our 12 Days of Christmas baking list.
Looking For More Recipes And Baking Tips?
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. What that means is if you click on one of our affiliate links, they may toss a few pennies our way for a commission.