What's better than a blueberry muffin? Blueberry muffins with lemon curd butter, of course. These easy-to-make breakfast treats are perfect for anyone who is looking for an easy recipe that won't take too much time to make. When you're in the mood for something sweet, these muffins will satisfy any craving! The lemon curd butter takes these muffins from delicious to absolutely amazing!
Why Make Blueberry Muffins?
Breakfast on the go – Muffins can be enjoyed for breakfast, as a snack or dessert! They are quick and easy to make. And they are made with just a few ingredients you probably have in your pantry already.
You'll love it – With homemade lemon curd butter this easy recipe is delicious no matter which way you slice them.
Ingredients For The Muffins
- AP (All Purpose) Flour
- Light Brown Sugar
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda
- Sour Cream
- Lemon Zest & Juice - Just a hint of lemon flavor comes through the muffin making it a match made in heaven with the blueberries. If you are ever wondering about flavor combinations, I am recommending the book The Flavor Bible by Karen Page and Andrew Dornenberg. It's so simple to use and such a valuable resource for any kitchen.
- Blueberries - If you are a big fan of blueberries you could possibly get away with adding another ¼ cup of blueberries. I'd try the recipe first as written, and next time you will know if you want more. You can use fresh berries or frozen for the recipe.
Ingredients For The Lemon Curd Butter
- Lemon Curd - We have a great recipe for this if you want to use homemade curd. Store bought would also work.
- Room Temperature Butter
How to Make Moist Blueberry Muffins with Lemon Curd Butter
This is a really simple recipe. You could use a stand mixer with a paddle attachment if you wanted on low speed, but it's so simple to incorporate the ingredients, I'd recommend a bowl and rubber spatula to avoid any chance of overmixing.
You are going to mix the dry ingredients into a bowl. Then in a second separate bowl, you will mix the sour cream, eggs, lemon zest and lemon juice. Slowly fold the wet ingredients, the sour cream mixture, into the dry ingredients. Then with a rubber spatula fold in the butter. Once you have all that mixed together let it sit for about 15 minutes to rest the gluten. Then fold in your blueberries. Portion out the muffin batter into the muffin tins and bake.
The Best Way to Make The Muffins Rise
By starting the muffins off at such a high temperature it is the initial high heat of 425 degrees that causes the batter to have greater oven spring or a rapid rise during the first few minutes of baking. The higher heat creates a burst of steam that lifts the batter, and helps you get a taller muffin top.
Tips For Great Tasting Muffins
- You can store leftover muffins in an airtight container or ziptop freezer bags and warm them up in a 200 degree oven for 5-7 minutes. You can also microwave these for 10-15 seconds if you are short on time.
- Having eggs and butter, at room temperature helps them form a smooth mixture that traps air and expands when heated in the oven. Keeps your muffins light and fluffy.
- To keep your blueberries from sinking to the bottom of your mix, toss your blueberries with a little flour, about a tablespoon before adding them to the batter. This works with frozen or fresh blueberries.
- If your blueberries are frozen, you do not need to thaw them before using.
- You can use a measuring cup or cookie scoop to portion out your muffins.
- You can bake these muffins right in the muffin tin, or you can use muffin liners if you would rather.
- I'm a fan of the lemon curd butter, but if you don't want to make that, these muffins are delicious if you just top them with extra lemon curd. If you don't have leftover lemon curd, I'd just go with butter.
- You could also sprinkle some turbinado sugar on top of the muffins before baking to give you more of a bakery style finish.
Give These Other Lemon Recipes A Try
Looking For More Recipes?
If you're looking for a delicious, easy recipe that will take less than an hour to make and won't require too much effort on your part, these muffins are perfect. The lemon curd butter takes them from good to great! Sign up below to get updates about new recipes or food photography tips, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox. Have blueberries on hand? Get started with this simple recipe today!
Blueberry Muffins With Lemon Curd Butter
- 15 Oz AP Flour (425 grams)
- 3.5 Oz Sugar (100 grams)
- 3.5 Oz Light Brown Sugar (100 grams)
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder (16 grams)
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt (3.1 grams)
- 1 ½ Cup Sour Cream (375 grams)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 teaspoon Lemon Zest (3 grams)
- 8 tablespoon Unsalted Butter, melted and cooled (113 grams)
- 1 ½ Cup Blueberries (250 grams)
Lemon Curd Butter
- 4 Oz Lemon Curd
- 3 Oz Unsalted Butter - Room Temperature
- Adjust oven rack to middle position, heat oven to 425°. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, light brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs, sour cream, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Fold in the sour cream mixture into the dry mixture until just combined. Then add the butter and stir until combined.
- Let dough rest for 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, toss the blueberries with an additional 1 tablespoon of flour. This will prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the muffins. Then gently fold into the batter.
- Using a greased ⅓ cup measure, portion the batter into the muffin cups.
- Bake at 425° for 8 minutes, reduce heat to 350° and continue baking until golden brown, 15-17 additional minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out with just a few crumbs.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then flip them onto a cooling rack. Let cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
Lemon Curd Butter
- In a small bowl mix the room temperature butter with lemon curd. Mix by hand until combined.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. What that means is if you click on one of our affiliate links, they may toss a few pennies our way for a commission.