This Mocha Ice Cream Sandwich is the perfect treat for a hot day. Mocha ice cream is sandwiched between two cinnamon spiced brownies and drizzled with a buttery salted caramel sauce. Everyone will love this brownie sandwich.
Hot Days Were Made for Mocha Ice Cream Sandwiches
I’m not sure what you are doing this summer to cool off from the heat, but this is what we are doing! Mocha ice cream held together by two cinnamon spiced brownies. Good grief, I could eat this every single day. I never realized how much I loved brownie sandwiches until now. This Mocha Ice Cream Sandwich is definitely my new go to on a hot summer day.
What Inspired This Brownie Ice Cream Sandwich?
I saw this recipe in Sift Magazine and decided to give it a try for our Friday food reads. It’s simple, sweet, no decorating, and I didn’t have to do anything to make it look cute.
I ended up making a very minor change to the brownie recipe. The original recipe had just too much cinnamon for my liking. So I cut this down to a teaspoon from a tablespoon of ground cinnamon. Just a hint of cinnamon flavor was all that I needed to go with the mocha ice cream. But if you are a cinnamon lover, then, by all means, go with the full tablespoon.
I made extra ice cream to have other sandwiches but I ended up just eating all the ice cream before I ever got a chance to make other cookies. When you have ice cream infused with espresso and chocolate, it doesn’t last long at my house.
Mocha Ice Cream Sandwich Ingredients
This recipe makes three separate parts that combine to make a whole lot of goodness. This ingredient list feels long but these sandwiches make every moment in the kitchen worth the effort.
- Unsalted butter
- Dutch process cocoa powder
- Baking powder
- Espresso powder
- Ground cinnamon
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Whole milk
- Cocoa powder
- Heavy cream
How to Make Mocha Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Bake the Brownies – Melt the butter and sugar in a saucepan before adding the dry ingredients. When will mixed whisk in the eggs, add the flour and fold in the chocolate chips. Bake at 350° for 34-36 minutes.
- Make the Mocha Ice Cream – Whisk together the ice cream ingredients and process them in your ice cream machine according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Make the Caramel Sauce – Boil sugar, water and salt until it turns amber in color. Remove from heat and stir in the butter. When melted, add in the heavy cream and vanilla.
- Assemble the Mocha Ice Cream Sandwiches – Cut the brownie into equal pieces. Scoop ice cream onto a brownie and top with another brownie. Drizzle with salted caramel sauce.
Why You’ll Love These Ice Cream Brownie Sandwiches
Everything about this mocha ice cream sandwich recipe was easy. Only three components and if you are thinking about skipping that caramel sauce, don’t even do it! It’s a very easy caramel to make and it is just so delicious on the brownie sandwich. It’s going to get messy but trust me, it’s worth it. Worse case scenario, you need to eat it with a fork.
Try These Brownie and Ice Cream Recipes
This is the first recipe I have made from Sift Magazine. If you aren’t familiar with it, you can probably find it in your local bookstore. It’s a publication by King Arthur Flour. I’m a huge fan of their products. They aren’t paying me to say this; I just love their products. And this magazine is a food photographers dream come true. Beautiful imagery and if everything works as well as this recipe, then it’s also a great source for delicious recipes.
Give it a try, we would love to hear how it worked out for you. Or even if you were inspired and decided to use the components in other desserts, let us know. Stay cool, and happy summer!
Looking For More Recipes?
Mocha Ice Cream Sandwich
Cinnamon Spiced Brownies
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
Mocha Ice Cream
- 1 cup cold whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons espresso powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 cups cold heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Cinnamon Spiced Brownies
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Lightly grease a 9″ x 13″ pan, line it with parchment and grease the parchment.
- In a medium saucepan, over low heat, melt the butter and add the sugar. Stir to combine. Heat briefly just until hot throughout.
- Remove from heat and stir in cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, espresso powder, cinnamon, and vanilla. Whisk in the eggs, continue stirring until smooth. Stir in the flour.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter onto the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 34 to 36 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. They should be set at the edges and just barely set in the center. Remove from oven and let cool in the pan.
Mocha Ice Cream
- Whisk together the milk, sugar, espresso powder, and cocoa powder until sugar has dissolved. Stir in heavy cream and vanilla.
- Freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer to covered container once done and freeze for 2 – 4 hours before serving.
Salted Caramel Sauce
- Place sugar, water and salt in a 2 quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar dissolves. Continue to cook until mixture turns a rich amber color. Remove from heat and stir in the butter. Once butter is absorbed stir in the heavy cream and vanilla extract. When sauce is smooth pour into a heatproof container to store, covered and refrigerated until ready to use.
- When ready, cut the brownies, scoop the ice cream, assemble and drizzle the caramel on top.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. What that means is if you click on one of our affiliate links they may toss a few pennies our way for a commission.