Day 7. Wow, the 12 days are really zooming by. This day is all about chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate, which is a sure hit this time of year. These little butter cookies are delicious plain or topped with a chocolate glaze. They have both great flavor and great texture.
This is a recipe from Cooks Illustrated Chocolate Cookies. I love using some of their simple cookie recipes during the holiday gift giving. I know the recipes have been tested hundreds of times and they are a safe bet every time. I don’t ever worry about a poorly written recipe when using their recipes.
These can easily be packaged on a cookie plate. If you are really creative, you could stack them and package them in a decorative plastic with a big bow.
And if you are catching up on days one through six, here is where you can find all the other holiday recipes. I hope you enjoy this chocolate butter cookies recipe as much as I do and don’t forget to save some for yourself!
Chocolate Butter Cookies
Cooks Illustrated - Chocolate Butter Cookies
- 20 tablespoons unsalted butter softened to cool room temperature
- 1/2 cup Dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add cocoa powder and espresso powder; stir until mixture forms smooth paste. Set aside to cool 15 - 20 minutes.
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix remaining 16 tablespoons butter, sugar, salt and cooled cocoa mixture on high speed until well combined and fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Add yolks and vanilla and mix on medium speed until combined.
- With mixer running on low, add flour in 3 additions, waiting until each addition is incorporated before adding next. Continue to mix until dough forms cohesive ball.
- Turn dough onto work surface; divide into three 4-inch disks. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate until dough is firm, yet malleable, 60 minutes.
- Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375°
- Roll out 1 dough disk between 2 large sheets of parchment paper to even thickness of 3/16 inch. Peel parchment from one side of dough and cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters.
- Place on prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 1 inch apart.
- Bake until cookies offer slight resistance to touch, 10 - 12 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes, then using spatula, transfer cookies to wire rack and cool completely.
Bittersweet Chocolate Glaze
- Melt 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate with 4 tablespoons unsalted butter and whisk until smooth. Add 2 tablespoons corn syrup and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and mix until smooth and shiny.
- Use back of spoon to spread scant teaspoon glaze to edge of cookie.
- Allow glazed cookies to dry at least 20 minutes.