We have made it to Friday and aren’t overloaded on chocolate yet. How about you? I hope you have been following along with this weeks #Choctoberfest. There have been some really good recipes out there for this event.
When we made the double chocolate baked donuts, I’m almost embarrassed to say, we had some leftovers. And it’s no secret that donuts are darn good on the day made, but not so much a few days later. What else can one do with stale bread? You got it…Bread pudding. The combination of bread and delicious sauces just warms my heart.
I usually make my bread puddings with yeast bread, but figured why not give the donuts a try. How bad could it be right? Since we started the week with chocolate and bourbon, may as well end the week with chocolate and bourbon. One of my better ideas, if I must say so myself.
There is nothing hard about this recipe. My donuts used were about a day and a half old and I almost felt bad about cutting them up into cubes. But with every chop, I was reminded how yummy they were going to be with a rich bourbon sauce drizzled onto them.
Now we are getting close to the end of #Choctoberfest with Imperial Sugar. So don’t forget to signup for the giveaway if you haven’t already. And if you have missed most of the week, here is the scoop:
Imperial Sugar and our other sponsors have banded together to contribute some awesome prizes for our #Choctoberfest giveaway! Entering is simple – just click below to enter. Here’s what you could win:
- Granulated Sugar from Imperial Sugar
- Chocolate Mint Essential Woman Omega Swirl and Chocolate Silk Greens from Barlean’s
- Chocolate bars (dark, milk, and white) from Lindt Chocolate
- Hemp seed prize pack (hulled hemp seed, toasted hemp seed, hemp seed oil, and hemp protein powder) from Just Hemp Foods
- Divine Chocolate gift set (15 flavors of chocolate bars!) from Divine Chocolate
- Dark chocolate caramels from Tahana Confections
- Vintage inspired gathering apron from Bless This Mess
- Lulu’s Lovepack (6 flavors of chocolate bars!) from Lulu’s Chocolate
- Pure Chocolate Lovers Supreme gift box from Pearson Farm
We also have a nonprofit sponsor this year – Rescue Chocolate! They make vegan chocolate treats and donate 100% of their proceeds to animal shelters.
Enter now to win the #Choctoberfest prize. Hurry, because we’re picking the winner on October 12 at 8:00 AM, so if you don’t sign up before then, you’ll miss your chance!
- 3 cups leftover donuts, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla paste
- 2 ounces heavy whipping cream
- 1.75 ounces sugar
- Pinch cinnamon
- ¼ ounce water
- ¼ ounce butter
- ¼ teaspoon cornstarch
- ¼ ounce bourbon
- Preheat the oven to 325° and have a small baking dish that holds about 4 cups liquid.
- Place the donut cubes in a medium sized bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, chocolate chips, heavy whipping cream, sugar, bourbon and vanilla paste. Pour over the donuts.
- Pour all ingredients into baking dish. Bake on a small sheet pan for 40 minutes until the top is set, and no runny egg is revealed after a few pricks with a toothpick.
- Place the cream, sugar, cinnamon, in a small saucepan and bring to boil.
- In a small bowl mix water and cornstarch to make a slurry. Add the slurry to the cream mixture in saucepan and bring back to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add butter and bourbon. Stir until fully blended.
- Serve the bread pudding warm with the bourbon sauce.