We all have our favorite baked goods, but when it comes to a Saturday morning breakfast, there is nothing quite like warm donuts. These baked chocolate donuts are quick and easy to make - they only take about 20 minutes in the oven! They also won't fill your house with that fried food odor that lingers for days.
Donut baking can be messy and time consuming: not these ones! The recipe couldn't be easier or quicker. Don't forget the glaze - it's what takes them from good to great!
There is no doubt that I love a fresh-from-the-fryer donut. But what I don't love is the cleanup after that or the fryer smell that lingers in the kitchen. So we set out to come up with an easy, delicious double chocolate baked donut that I could wake up and cook for breakfast with minimal cleanup.
And after testing about 10 iterations of this recipe, we finally nailed it. Actually, we ended with two recipes. This one has a much more traditional baked donut feel regarding texture, and the second one is more cake-like. I won't be sharing the second one today, but you can bet it will be making an appearance on the blog another day!
We covered these choocolate baked donuts in a chocolate glaze and then sprinkled that with even more chocolate. Why not right?!? But you could easily make a simple confectioners' sugar glaze. Or you could even cover these with sugar. I'd brush butter on them once you take them out of the oven and roll them into finely ground sugar.
Ingredients in Baked Donuts
- All purpose flour - Make sure to measure this properly so you don't end up with dry donuts.
- Light brown sugar
- Milk chocolate chips
- Cocoa powder
- Baking powder
- Unsalted butter melted
- Large egg plus 1 large yolk
- Semisweet chocolate chips
- Corn syrup
- Vanilla extract
How to Make Baked Donuts
You will need a donut pan for this recipe. They are available in specialty baking stores and stores with a kitchenwares department.
- Mix together the dry ingredients needed for the donuts and then whisk in the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Pipe the batter into the prepared donut pan and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Allow the donuts to cool for about 5 minutes then dunk them into the glaze and sprinkle with chopped chocolate chips before serving.
More Chocolate Recipes
This baked donut recipe is a chocolate lover's dream and is so easy to make. We hope you like these chocolate baked donuts as much as we do.
Looking for more recipes?
Double Chocolate Baked Donuts
- 7 ounces all purpose flour
- ½ cup packed Imperial Sugar light brown sugar
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips chopped
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ⅛ cup cornstarch
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 large egg plus 1 large yolk
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat to 400°. Spray donut pan with vegetable oil spray. Whisk flour, sugar, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.
- Whisk buttermilk, butter, eggs, and yolk in a second bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Pipe batter into prepared donut pan. Fill about ¾ full. This should give you about 9 donuts.
- Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. 8 to 10 minutes. Let donuts cool in pan for 5 minutes.
For the Glaze:
- Combine chocolate chips, butter, corn syrup and vanilla in a double boiler until melted.
- Dunk your donuts into the glaze making a swirling motion as you pull it out.
- We then sprinkled chopped up chocolate chips onto the top.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. What that means is if you click on one of our affiliate links, they may toss a few pennies our way for a commission.