There is no doubt that I love a fresh from the fryer donut. But what I don’t love is the cleanup after that, and the fryer smell that lingers in the kitchen. So we set out to come up with an easy, delicious baked donut that I could wake up and cook for breakfast with minimal cleanup. And after testing about 10 iterations of this recipe, we finally nailed it. Actually we ended with two recipes. This one has a much more traditional baked donut feel with regards to texture, and the second one is more cake like. I won’t be sharing the second one today, but you can bet it will be making an appearance on the blog another day!
We covered these in a chocolate glaze with more chocolate sprinkled onto the glaze. Why not right?!? But you could easily make a simple confectioners’ sugar glaze. Or you could even cover these with sugar. I’d brush butter on them once you take them out of the oven and roll them into finely ground sugar.
I’ll just say, since we are going with a chocolate theme this week for #Choctoberfest, I can highly recommend the chocolate glaze with more chocolate on top. Even if it weren’t a special chocolate week, this would still be my pick of toppings.
#Choctoberfest would not be possible without our sponsors, starting with our 2015 Gold Sponsor, Imperial Sugar. Imperial Sugar has been a trusted name in family kitchens since 1843. We will be using their sugar products in all recipes this week, and please don’t forget to signup for the giveaway where you will be entered to win your own Imperial Sugar products! Incase you missed Monday’s post about the giveaway, here is the scoop:
Enter now to win the #Choctoberfest prize. Hurry, because we’re picking the winner on October 12 at 8:00 AM, so if you don’t sign up before then, you’ll miss your chance!
Double Chocolate Baked Donuts
- 7 ounces all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed Imperial Sugar light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips chopped
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/8 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 large egg plus 1 large yolk
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat to 400°. Spray donut pan with vegetable oil spray. Whisk flour, sugar, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.
- Whisk buttermilk, butter, eggs, and yolk in a second bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Pipe batter into prepared donut pan. Fill about 3/4 full. This should give you about 9 donuts.
- Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. 8 to 10 minutes. Let donuts cool in pan for 5 minutes.
For the Glaze:
- Combine chocolate chips, butter, corn syrup and vanilla in a double boiler until melted.
- Dunk your donuts into the glaze making a swirling motion as you pull it out.
- We then sprinkled chopped up chocolate chips onto the top.
Recipe Source: SerenaLissy.com
All images and content are copyright protected. Do not use our images without prior permission.