“A Little smile, a word of cheer, a bit of love from someone near, a little gift from one held dear, best wishes for the coming year…These make a Merry Christmas!” -John Greenleaf Whittier
We are on day number 6 and I’m so excited that we are half way done in the 12 days of holiday baking! I hope you have been enjoying these recipes as much as I have. Yesterday we made peppermint pattie brownies from America’s Test Kitchen and I saw another recipe for Salted Dulce de Leche cookies from them. I had never made these before, but figured I’d give them a try.
This is a perfect recipe for your fans of the salty-sweet flavor combination. The cookies are buttery and flavorful, and the sweet dulce de leche is irresistible. And on top of that, they mixed in coarse sea salt into the dulce de leche. The large salt granules gave it a slight crunch. You can buy the dulce de leche or easily make your own from a can of condensed milk.
These cookies are great packaged in a gift box, or if you have decorative pieces like we did, you can then just put a decorative plastic wrap around them and tie a big bow on top for an easy gift.
And if you have missed the other days of our holiday baking you can find all the recipes here. I hope you enjoy these as much as we did, and don’t forget to save some for yourself.
Dulce De Leche Cookies
America's Test Kitchen - Dulce De Leche Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup superfine sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into 16 pieces and softened
- 1 ounce cream cheese softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup dulce de leche
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- Confectioner's sugar
- Using stand mixer fitted with paddle, mix flour, superfine sugar, and salt on low speed until combined.
- Add butter, 1 piece at a time, and mix until crumbly, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add cream cheese and vanilla and beat until mixture begins to form large clumps.
- Knead dough by hand, just until it forms cohesive mass. Divide dough in half, form each half into disk, wrap disks in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375°.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll each disk of dough 1/8 inch thick; refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Using 1 3/4 inch cookie cutter, cut dough, gathering and rerolling scraps once; space cookies 1 1/2 inches apart on prepared sheets.
- Bake 1 sheet at a time, until light golden brown, about 10 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through baking.
- Let cookies cool on sheet for 3 minutes, then transfer to wire rack and let cool completely.
- Microwave dulce de leche in bowl at 50 percent power for 20 seconds. Sir in sea salt.
- Spread bottoms of half of cookies evenly with warm dulce de leche, then top with remaining cookies, pressing lightly to adhere.
- Dust cookies with confectioners sugar before serving.