This is one of the easiest dessert recipes you’ll come across – just a few ingredients, some baking time and voila! The perfect holiday treat: Peppermint Pattie Brownies. These rich chocolatey squares are stuffed with York Peppermint Patties for an extra festive flair that everyone will love.
Peppermint Pattie Brownies
“Like snowflakes, my Christmas memories gather and dance – each beautiful, unique and too soon gone.” -Deborah Whipp
Wow, it’s day number 5 in the 12 days of holiday baking, and each day of pastries has been beautiful, yummy and too soon gone! Today’s recipe is an oldie, but a goodie from America’s Test Kitchen. This one is a crowd pleaser especially for any fans of chocolate mint flavors. How can anyone go wrong with brownies that have peppermint patties baked inside?
I know I can bake this brownie all year long, but like other Christmas memories, it seems to fade like a snowflake. I always forget about them until the holidays. Maybe it’s the peppermint that makes me think of them. It’s no secret if you read yesterday’s post, that I have a slight addiction to peppermint and chocolate. It’s probably in my waistlines best interest that I only make these Peppermint Pattie Brownies during the holidays and give away as many as I can.
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Unsalted Butter
- Unsweetened Chocolate
- York Peppermint Patties
How to Make Peppermint Pattie Brownies
First, move oven rack to middle position and preheat to 350°F. Make a foil sling for an 8 inch square baking pan, and grease the foil.
In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt together. In a second bowl microwave butter and chocolate at 50 percent power. Stir occasionally until melted and smooth. Usually takes two to three minutes. Let cool slightly.
In a large bowl whisk sugar and eggs together. Add vanilla and the chocolate mixture. Whisk until it’s combined. Add flour mixture and stir until just incorporated. Leave one cup of batter in the bowl, but pour the rest into your prepared baking pan.
Space the York Peppermint Patties apart on top of the batter. Then spread the remaining batter over the patties. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until just set in the center. Rotate the pan halfway through baking. Let the brownies cool for 2 hours. Then use the foil overhang to lift the brownies out of the pan. Cut into 36 pieces before serving.
How to Serve Peppermint Pattie Brownies
The recipe calls for you to bake in an 8-inch square pan, and cut them into 36 brownie bites. I like keeping them small, because then each brownie will have some of the York Peppermint Pattie visible. It’s the minty candy layer in the middle that makes these unique so you might as well show it off!
These can easily be packaged in a holiday box with tissue paper, or as part of a cookie tray. I know for each recipe I keep telling you to keep some for yourself, but I must warn you this brownie is dangerous. Every time I keep a bite, or two or maybe a row and next thing you know, I’m making a second pan of them.
Best Brownie Recipe Tips
- Better chocolate means better brownies. Always go with a good quality chocolate when called for in recipes.
- It’s always better to pull the brownies out of the oven too early than too late. There is nothing good about a dry brownie, so err on the side of caution and take out a bit early when in doubt. A toothpick inserted in the center should have just a few crumbs attached when you pull it out.
- Wait for the brownies to cool before cutting and eating them. I know this is the most difficult part for me. But by waiting, it reduces the crumbling when you slice them.
I hope you enjoy these peppermint pattie brownies as much as I do. Give the recipe a try and let us know how they worked for you.
Looking For More Recipes?
Peppermint Pattie Brownies
America’s Test Kitchen Peppermint Pattie Brownies
- 3/4 cup AP Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 16 1 1/2 inch York Peppermint Patties, unwrapped
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat to 350°F.
- Make foil sling for 8 inch square baking pan, and grease the aluminum foil.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in bowl.
- Microwave butter and chocolate in second bowl at 50 percent power, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth, 2 to 3 minutes; let cool slightly.
- Whisk sugar and eggs together in large bowl.
- Add vanilla and chocolate mixture and whisk until combined.
- Add flour mixture and stir until just incorporated.
- Pour all but 1 cup batter into prepared baking pan.
- Space patties 1/2 inch apart on top of batter.
- Spread remaining batter over patties.
- Bake until just set in the center, 30 to 35 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking.
- Let bites cool in pan for 2 hours.
- Using foil overhang, lift bites out of pan. Cut into 36 pieces before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. What that means is if you click on one of our affiliate links they may toss a few pennies our way for a commission.